Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sucherman

Alex and I left to see Todd Sucherman (Styx's drummer) at West Music in Coralville. I love attending a drum clinic. I've seen Virgil Donati, Bobby Rock, and maybe some others I can't remember. They usually talk about the same things - practice, drums as a musical instrument - and it's always refreshing to have a mini-renewal or grounding of what drummers should do as they approach their instrument. Sucherman's clinic was very entertaining and I really learned a lot. I came out of it wanting to go downstairs and play drums and to try to apply some of what he said to my own playing. He said that you should always be early and to not be grumpy - there are already enough grumpy people in the world.
Here's a couple of videos of his playing:








And, even though he's not playing drums, he's running around with an un-mic'ed tambourine in this one from the same concert as above.


No comments: