Friday, October 25, 2013

Giddy with Glee

It almost was a sign that I need to rededicate my efforts in the area of writing music reviews.

Prior to leaving the house to take Karen to work, I was in the den and noticed a cassette in the 'to do' stack of cassettes I am converting to MP3 as part of the conversion project. I noticed a band called Marilyn Suicide. I've had the cassette for at least 20 years but I couldn't remember what they sounded like so I stuck it in my pocket.

After I drop Karen off at work and I am alone in the van, I put the cassette in the van's cassette player. These are the lyrics from the first of four songs by this band.


Sick of all your late night bitching
Tired of all your Sunday preaching all of the time
What's wrong with you baby, I'm ready to split
All I get from your mouth is just a bunch of babbling lip


Instantly, I'm a senior at Mount Mercy College, writing reviews for the Mount Mercy Minstrel as the Arts & Entertainment Editor. I've just started to get the idea that I can send a letter of inquiry to bands, in other states, and state that I'd like to write a review of their music for the newspaper. In the beginning, I know I would actually buy the cassettes I was receiving. Bands like Marilyn Suicide, Witch Bonnie, Erotikill, and Cherry Street sent me cassettes and I was just so tickled to listen to them. I began to have my current attitude about music I hear on the radio.
  • For every Green Day, there are bands like Bayside who are at least as talented.
  • For every Metallica, there are bands like Disarray who are at least as talented.
  • For every Nickelback, there are bands like Watershed who are at least as talented.
Yet, Green Day, Metallica, and Nickelback get a lot of money to play their songs; Bayside, Disarray, and Watershed do not get that type of money. Are all six of these bands fantastic? Yes. I'm listening to Watershed's "Star Vehicle" and "Black Concert T-Shirt" after it and WOW! Great music.

All of this is to say I checked the mail yesterday and there was a package from BB Gun Press, who does publicity for Metallica, with the "Through the Never" soundtrack. Getting promo packages in the mail has never gotten old. 

No comments: