Monday, October 7, 2013

Significant Anniversaries

  • On this date in 1997, dailyvault.com published my first review. It is Sammy Hagar's "Marching to Mars" http://dailyvault.com/toc.php5?review=261.Wow, I sucked as a writer! <grin>
  • On this date in 1991, I had the worst day of my life as a student teacher. My supervisor was there to watch me teach a group of 10th graders very poorly. They were the thorn in my a$$ and I was an ineffective teacher. I was a rug and they sucked the joy of teaching out of me. That afternoon, at our weekly 'status' meeting, I remember I moved my chair and my supervisor took it as a personal insult and, after everyone left, she lit into me verbally. She leveled me like a wrecking ball on a building and I crumbled in front of her eyes. I started crying after it was over. I remember I sat on the hill on the Mount Mercy College campus that is now apartments, and I cried. I said, "God, if you're there, why are you doing this to me? Why are you making me feel this way?" I questioned every thing in my life, ranging from "Why do you want to be a teacher?" through "Why am I even here?" 
I think it's good to recognize anniversaries that are of negative things because it makes the good things in life that much better. Tonight, the plan is to go with Kevin to the Metallica "Through the Never" movie in Cedar Rapids @ 7:30.

No comments: