Sunday, January 25, 2015

In a Few Years, This will Be Important

Sometimes, I really wish I was involved in politics. Not because I want to be in a Senator or anything like that, but because I think that's the only way I would grasp the quotes in an article in the Iowa City Press Citizen. This is a link to the article, but I'm putting it below as well, not because plagiarism is cool or because I want to deprive the Press Citizen of web traffic, but rather, because I wanted to annotate it with my confusion. My comments are in bold/italic

A new interchange with Forevergreen Road and Interstate 380 was discussed at a Wednesday work session of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors.
No comprehension issue.
The board and County Engineer Greg Park discussed the the proposed interchange that, according to the Iowa Department of Transportation, would be slated for construction in 2019 and cost $14.2 million.
No comprehension issue.
While the county owns no corners of the intersection of Forevergreen Road and I-380 — the corners are split among Tiffin, Coralville and North Liberty — the board voiced concerns about added traffic to county roads.
No comprehension issue.
“If it happens, it will be four or five years of extra traffic on (Iowa Highway) 965,” board member Rod Sullivan said. Board member Terrence Neuzil expressed the same concern about Jasper Avenue.
“We will definitely have to demand some sort of compensation,” Sullivan said. “Our roads are going to deteriorate much faster than they normally would.”
Here's what I don't understand. First of all, from whom are they going to demand compensation? The DOT? Second of all, how long are roads supposed to last? I'm being serious. Aren't roads supposed to be able to endure traffic that is detoured because of construction? Third, why do they have to "demand" compensation? Was that a poor word choice or do they really have to be forceful in their words.
The location of the new interchange was first scoped out in 2009 when DOT was planning the I-80 and I-380 flyover, which is set to begin construction in 2018. According to Catherine Cutler, district transportation planner for DOT, the plan is for the Forevergreen Road interchange to eventually relieve traffic congestion caused by the I-80 and I-380 flyover construction.
The Forevergreen Road intersection is slated to begin in 2019. The I-80 / I-380 construction is slated for 2018. How is the Forevergreen Road construction going to relieve traffic congestion? If they wanted to relieve congestion, wouldn't they want to build the Forevergreen Road intersection first and have that operational before they start on the I-80 / I-380 construction that is going to cause the traffic congestion?
Board member Janelle Rettig said the board should compose a letter to DOT and spell out compensation and support for alternative forms of transportation at the interchange.
How does the phrase "support for alternative forms of transportation at the interchange" translate into English? I'm totally confused.

No comments: