Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Shell scripting registration closes soon... Want in?

Yes. Yes, I do want in to this class. I have zero understanding how I would use shell scripting in my daily technical writing duties, but I still want to learn. However, I took a class about Drupal this summer and have yet to use the information I learned in that class at work either - and work paid for me to take the class! I hope that I find out what I am going to do with my Drupal knowledge prior to forgetting my Drupal knowledge!

In any case, learning shell scripting would be awesome. I am likely to look at the resources that are presently available to me to ascertain whether there is already shell scripting classes I could take.


Enrollment is now open for my online shell scripting bootcamp.  Registration closes Sunday night.

Here are the details:
·         This is a project-based, online class with weekly assignments.
·         Duration: 4 Weeks
·         Estimated Time Commitment: 4-5 Hours Per Week
·         4 live calls: 1 hour per week for 4 weeks.  (Tuesdays at 7PM Eastern Time.)
·         Tuition: $299  (That's a 40% savings off the normal tuition!)
If you want to save your spot, go here to enroll now.

If you're wondering about the curriculum, here are some topics covered in the class:
·         Name your shell scripts.
·         Use the proper permissions on your shell scripts.
·         Create and use variables in your scripts.
·         Use shell built-in commands and operating system commands.
·         Make the most out of special variables that are available to you in your scripts.
·         Make decisions by using if statements and performing several kinds of tests.
·         Check the exit statuses of commands and why you need to.
·         Use cryptographic hash functions.
·         Create random data so you can do things like automatically generate strong passwords for user accounts.
·         Perform the same action or set of actions over a series of data utilizing for loops, while loops, and infinite loops.
·         Control all types of input and output.
·         Accept standard input from a user as well as from another program.
·         Redirect standard output and standard error.
·         Combine standard output and standard error.
·         Use command pipelining.
·         Perform text and string manipulation.
·         Process command line arguments.
·         Create functions and when to do so.
·         Parse, analyze, and report on log files, CSV files, and other data.
·         Write scripts that execute commands on other systems.
·         More...
If you're looking to get good at shell scripting, here's your chance.

See you in class!

Jason

P.S.  Spots are limited.  First-come, first-served.

No comments: