Monday, July 18, 2022

When will I Take my Drumming Seriously Enough to Play Better?

Within the past couple of years, I have been inundated with drumming improvement courses. I get emails all the time from reputable drummers that I know about through YouTube. Each of the emails promises, as a sales email should, to make me a better drummer in a specific area. The email from today led me to the Drumeo website where I can purchase a "Hands and Feet Bundle" for $200, which includes $450.94 in "FREE Bonuses" - by the numbers, a deal I cannot pass up.



Or can I pass it up? My answer to that question is multi-layered.

  1. I can easily pass it up because I don't have $200 burning a hole in my pocket.
    1. Although, I have purchased dumber things that easily could add up to $200
      1. I am not going to practice drums on a routine basis.
        1. I have promised myself that I would practice drums on a routine basis, but when push comes to shove, I don't.

Obviously, I have been down this path before. I have a list of reasons why taking the initiative to improve my drumming won't work.

So, I sit in this loop, a hamster wheel.

  1. I want to be a better drummer
  2. I won't practice, which is what would make me a better drummer
  3. Go to #1

What do I do to break out of that loop? For one thing, I need to have performances on my schedule. I didn't touch a drumstick until I knew that I was playing at 515 Mass on 7-16-2022 Saturday night. In the same vein, knowing that I am playing drums at 515 Mass on 7-23-2022, I will be motivated to sit down at the Yamaha electronic set in the den and play along to one of the recorded tracks in the drum "brain" for at least 10-15 minutes. Also, I reached out to Randy to jam on Wednesday evening, which is a tentative yes, depending upon whether Randy trades in his car, which if he does, he may be heading to CO, where he has family. This means that I will likely practice drums tonight, after work. I know we are going to go see Jurassic World: Dominion tomorrow night so I likely won't have time to practice drums. I thought empty-nesting was supposed to make life not as busy?

I am not going to purchase the "Hands and Feet Bundle" for $200, but I am going to practice drums tonight in anticipation of possibly jamming with Randy on Wednesday and, if that would not work out, for playing drums at 515 Mass on Saturday night. 

No comments: