Thursday, January 19, 2023

Choose a Festival

I always have to think about these hypothetical festivals and I typically have one question, which is, "Which lineup of the band?" For example, I would like to see the Max & Igor version of Sepultura, just because I never saw that version in concert. I would like to see the Cliff Burton version of Metallica, just because I never saw that version in concert. The same question applies to Festival 3 and a band like Black Sabbath. Can it be the Bill Ward / Geezer Butler / Tony Iommi / Ozzy Osbourne version of the band? Can it be the David Lee Roth version of Van Halen, the John Bonham version of Led Zeppelin, the Peter Criss version of KISS? 

However, just at a 'what bands would I want to see' level, I eliminate Festival 1 instantly. I have only seen Morbid Angel and while they were superb, I don't want to see them again. 

I look at Festival 2 and think it would be really great to see Metallica. I also like the idea of seeing all of those bands. 

I look at Festival 3 and I've seen Van Halen (with Sammy Hagar), Judas Priest, Saxon, Rush, Queensryche (with Todd on vocals), and KISS (with Eric Singer). Can I see Black Sabbath when it was Bill Ward / Geezer Butler / Tony Iommi / Ozzy Osbourne? Can it be the David Lee Roth version of Van Halen? Can it be the John Bonham version of Led Zeppelin? Can it be the Peter Criss version of KISS? 

Then I look at Festival 4 and I've seen Guns-n-Roses, Motley Crue, Poison, Warrant, Alice Cooper, Dokken, and Def Leppard. Do I get to choose the version of those bands from their heyday or their current version?

All things considered, I choose Festival 2.


No comments: