Friday, April 21, 2023

Versioning

As I read this article about "versioning" in software - What is Versioning? - I couldn't help but think about my own versioning standard at Quintrex. There were hundreds of PDFs that I was responsible for as the company's lone technical writer. One of the challenges I faced included deciding how I was going to distinquish between when I changed a document's formatting from when I changed a document's content. I didn't realize it at the time but I was seeking a way to separate "content" from "formatting" which is another way of separating the presentation and content - a concept mentioned elsewhere on this blog [See https://prhmusic.blogspot.com/search/label/separation%20of%20presentation%20and%20content]
THe strategy I used was to use this format: XXX.YYY. Version is in XXX.YYY format where XXX is upped when it is a content change and YYY is upped when it is a formatting change.

No comments: