Saturday, May 23, 2009

Signs & Government @ its Worst....

This is something that came up this week that I've thought a lot about.

Someone I know said, "If I am laid off from my job, I'll take it as a sign [from God] to finally do what I've always wanted to do as a career. If I am retained, then I was meant to work where I am working." Do we, as humans, really get to decide what our sign from God is going to be? Isn't it really God choosing what He wants us to do according to his plan?

I went to Google to find an answer and came across this discussion. I like this quote:

Use your gut, use your intuition, trust your sense to know your truth, and the ways that the god of your understanding communicaties with you, you get to "learn that language" no one else can do it for you. It will be very individual, and most likely something that is personal and meaningful to you.

I can find comfort in that. It goes along with the idea that God gave us the ability to choose - our curse or our gift, depending upon the circumstances.

I am jumping to something else, though this could have easily been its own blog post called "You should have a usable website but I don't have to have one in order to tell you to have a usable website."
This came across on Techwr-L on Wed and I find it really funny. A usability site that isn't usable...

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Goldstein
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 1:46 PM
To: techwr-l@lists.techwr-l.com
Subject: RE: GUI Elements defined

OK, it's irony time: Guy McDonald discovered that the home page for http://usability.gov lacks a certain... usability. Specifically, in IE7, the bulleted items activate the hand cursor, even though they're unlinked. The site works fine in Firefox. Before I write to HHS, can someone check if the site works in IE 6? Opera? etc... >
-----Original Message----->
From: Dan Goldstein
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:00 PM
To: techwr-l
Subject: RE: GUI Elements defined
And for more definitions of Web-specific elements, see http://usability.gov/pdfs/glossary.pdf

No comments: