Tuesday, May 19, 2009

WAH...and an Apology Foretold

I'm working @ home because Megan has 7th grade orientation. I hope her 7th grade year is a lot like mine. Socially, I remember bouncing from group to group and making a lot of friends. It was the year I was asked to couple skate @ Super Skate and she knew how to skate backwards so that was a huge moment for me. She also turned out to be in 9th grade so even *that* was cool. Megan won't have that opportunity, though, because the school she will be at is only 7th & 8th graders. Later that year, I had a girlfriend and that was ultimately very cool.

But this isn't about that.

Last night, as I drove Megan to a classmate's house to work on their project, I apologized to her. I told her about my co-worker whose car engine is "falling apart." She said that her first instinct was to call her father because he likes cars and has done work on cars and understands them.

I am not like that. I believed in blinker fluid as a freshman in college.

I apologized to her because I know, someday, she will have car trouble. Some light will come on or turn off or some thing will sound funny under the hood. She will call me and say, "Hey Dad, the car is [fill in the blanks]. What do you think it is?"

Maybe between now and that phone call, I will know more than I do now. If she asked that question today, I would reply, "I don't know."

I would then go on to suggest taking it to a mechanic.

No comments: