Saturday, July 25, 2009

Republic Tigers sound like the Cure Live and bands I can't stand....

On a Tuesday night in 2009, I don't want to forget that I went with Chris to People's Court in Des Moines, IA, to see The Republic Tigers and Gomez. Gomez was the headliner and I liked them.



This is what the Republic Tigers sound like:



I told Chris as we were watching them Tuesday that they sound a lot like my impression of what the cure sounds like. My history with the Cure is brief. I listened to a cassette dubbing of a Cure release called "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" once before I dubbed over it. I know the Cure were immensely popular but, like Smashing Pumpkins, it just has never appealed to me. There's a lot of bands I've never really gotten into. For example, the Rolling Stones or the Grateful Dead or Phish or Aerosmith. Don't own any recordings by them - except RS' greatest hits - and I'm okay with my musical tastes. Never liked Blue Oyster Cult either - their "Don't Fear the Reaper" song SUCKS! I took the kids to the pool last night and they always have the classic rock station on the speakers. I wanted to say "Turn this crap off." My friend Chris has an opinion about Aerosmith as well. "I actually despise Aerosmith. If I wanted a crap-load of CDs with variations of the same song, then they might deserve a second look...." I can't go along with that because I've lik certain aspects of Aerosmith. The drum part on "Walk this Way" the drum sound on "Living on the Edge," but I have no use for most of their singles like "Dude looks like a lady," "Rag Doll" and "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" - that simply awful ballad that went with the movie about the world ending... Bruce Willis was in it... I do REALLY REALLY like their pseudo ballad "What it Takes" - I know all the words. Chris said I was sick.

No comments: