Saturday, June 25, 2011

Peace

I should not go into Best Buy. I don't venture within very often but when I do, it's like a haze comes over my 'good judgment' side of my brain. I went in the store today to purchase two mice, one for my dad and one for me. My work PC is a laptop and I have grown tired of the touchpaddy thing as a way to work within MS Word. I walked by a bin that proclaimed a sign "Movies - $3.99 Each."

Of course, I pause and look at what they have. There's some horror movies and movies I've never heard of. There's some comedies and dramas that I wouldn't consider assets to my DVD collection.

Then I see two jewels.

The first jewel is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," a movie I have a love/hate relationship with. It was in high school, at some time, when I watched a VHS version of this movie at John Rath's house. I remember the occasion quite vividly. I remember laughing at the clever use of humor. I walked out of JR's house thinking, "Mom and Dad will love this movie." I rented it, popped it into the VCR and... it felt like I had rented an albatross for my neck. I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. I never drank alcohol in high school so it wasn't funny at JR's house because of a drunken lapse of judgment. I don't really know exactly why it wasn't funny when I watched it with my parents. Could have just been the atmosphere and the hype I had built up for them to watch it. Needless to say, I do not believe we sat through the entire movie that night. At some point, the movie was stopped and, somewhat dejected, I returned it to the video store the next day.

Fast forward to May 2011 and it was on TV, for some odd reason. Megan and I watched a little part of it. We watched the knights clap coconuts together as they galloped their fake steeds. She thought it was funny and, in fact, has referenced it several times since then. So there it was today, in the bargain bin, a measly $3.99. I had to have it.

The other movie I saw has a less thrilling history with me. It is the often criticized Starship Troopers. I like the film. I think it has a good plot and dazzling special effects.

Proceeding with the continuation of the trip to Best Buy, we are almost out the door when I decide to look at CDs. Another of my weaknesses in Best Buy. I see a bargain bin of CDs, each priced at $4.99. AH!! There's an Aerosmith live CD (blech!) and then I see it. Loverboy's "Get Lucky", a gem from my youth. There are even bonus tracks, including a demo of their hit single "Working for the Weekend."

All three of these jewels are still in the shrinkwrap. I should partake in them from 7/5-7/7!

No comments: