Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sporadic Dies

It had been kind of sporadic inactivity with the 1 TB external hard drive. All of a sudden, it would stop responding and the only way to fix it would be to unplug the power supply and replug it back in, but then, unfortunately, it would only be a matter of minutes before it would stop responding.

Thus, I fear it is on its last leg. I have it hooked up to the Windows XP box and it is doing a chkdsk e: /r command in the hope that I will be able to recover the information. Unfortunately, I don't have the e:\music - yepper, the one directory with all my music - offloaded from it yet so whether all the work I've done since MM/DD/CCYY on the conversion from CDs to MP3, from cassettes to MP3, from vinyl to MP3... I'm staring at the sad face of losing all of those hours.

On one hand, fine. It's not like I don't have the CDs and cassettes to start over. I would maybe do some things differently, such as do a better job of organizing my 'done' pile and 'not done' pile.

On the other hand, though, I am nearly sick to my stomach when I think about the hours upon hours upon HOURS I've spent on the conversions.

I've not given up hope that running chkdsk will, somehow, allow me to recover the e:\music folder at least long enough to move the files to my Toshiba 2 TB external hard drive. Perhaps I was too rough on the external hard drive that seems to be in doubt.

No comments: