Friday, July 12, 2019

Changes to Numerous to Count

Adrenalize returns to Fat Jack's [Friday. July 12, 2013] - 8 to Midnite

The following was cannibalized from All Videos of Me Playing Drums

Lou's Classic Ride

Lou's Classic Rice formed in late May of 2012. After nearly a year of rehearsals, we progressed from 830 Studios (my basement) to the world. We ended up playing two gigs. The first was a warmup set for Adrenalize at Fat Jack's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Friday, July 12, 3013. Thanks to Serbi for letting me use his drums! We played these tunes:
  1. Lonely Boy
  2. Sunshine of your Love
  3. Stuck in the Middle
  4. Foghat (I Just Want to Make Love to You)
  5. Dead Flowers
  6. Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting
  7. What I Like About You
  8. Rocking in the Free World

This first video starts out with us until the 5:50-ish time and then switches to highlights of Adrenalize's set. Adrenalize featured Serbi on drums and Kyle O on guitar (RIP).


Lonely Boy - this was the first tune that LCR put together and was always one of my favorites.


Sunshine - way back in 1992, I went to a drummer audition in Urbana. This tune was one that we tried to go through and, I remember very vividly, that I had not heard it before. Thus, during the audition, playing the 1 and 3 on the snare was tough for me to nail. Therefore, when LCR came together, I suggested this tune as it was one that I wanted to play 'correctly' to atone for the disaster that was the 1992 drummer audition. I think it sounds good.


Stuck in the Middle - Brian Guitar suggested this tune. It was new to me but I quickly fell in love with the groove.


Saturday Night - Joe suggested this tune. I remembered the Flotsam & Jetsam metal cover, but had to go back and listen to the original version.


What I Like About You - I have always liked this tune. I am fairly certain it was the first tune that I ever heard a cover band play. I was at Hawkeye Downs for something and recall walking past the beer tent and hearing some band playing this tune. I don't recall how old I was or who was with me; I only recall the fact that I heard it and thought, "Wow, that'd be fun to play in a band that knew this tune."


Dead Flowers - I'm pretty sure Joe suggested this tune. I didn't know it prior to having it show up on a list of possible tunes. I grew to love it.


Brian Rocking Out - I don't remember who suggested playing this tune and, sadly, I have to admit I wasn't familiar with this tune until it became one we tried in rehearsal. Matthew Helmke sings lead. The video is the final 1:54 of the tune and features Brian's guitar solo and a pseudo-drum solo / finish at the end. It was the 8th of the 8 tunes we played that night and I just wanted to drum out a bit and play every thing Serbi had in his setup that I could. FYI, I typically don't 'go off' like that unless the song calls for it.


No comments: