Monday, January 31, 2022

Soothing the Doug

Doug posted on a Facebook group comprised of Metallica fans.  

Content Warning! Now that Spotify is going to add a "Content Warning" to podcasts that discuss COVID-19, I feel like I should have one of those for when I quote someone else who obviously didn't know that there is a language standard on this blog. 

If I replace the f-word with f--k, is that really necessary anyone? We know what f--k means?!? 

Still, just for the record, Doug used adult language at least once in his post. Be advised.


Metallica actually sold out when they bent over and spread their ass for MTV on the ONE video. But I didn’t think much of it because although the lack of bass sucks, AJFA is a kick ass thrash album. Then they sold their ass out to the entire radio world with the black album. I remember it SO well… all of the sudden you’d hear Metallica playing everywhere you went and you’d hear grandmas saying, “oh I love this song!” So yes, whether you like it or not, Metallica are nothing short of a bunch of sellout snots. So in essence what I’m saying is, fuck everything Metallica did after AJFA, although I actually do enjoy some of their last two albums. So, if you want to get on your knees for James and Lars and worship everything they have put out… then knock yourself out bud. It’s just not for me.


As you might imagine, Metallica fans didn't really care for Doug's post. However, instead of insulting Doug for having a different opinion than I and other Metallica fans, I wrote the following:


Doug I get it - you want to protect Metallica from being known by the masses. I will say this: if Enter Sandman hadn't been released, I don't know what Metallica tune would have been played at my wedding reception in 8-1993. The dance floor was full! And, later in life, I was able to introduce my kids to Metallica when they were little, which led to taking my son to see Metallica in June 2017. AJFA is my favorite album so I was representing that day!!

On a side note, James Hetfield deciding to confront his alcohol use is positive reinforcement for me as I quit drinking booze on 12-31-2010.

Lars Ulrich deciding to go and achieve his goals and to ignore any negative reactions is positive reinforcement as well. I have heard him talk about how he never wanted to be the ultimate drummer in the world, that he was going to give 100% to his goal of being the drummer in a band. I also think he was correct about Napster and while I didn't like it, I give him kudos for recording Lulu with Lou Reed.

Kirk Hammett being able to give everything he has done for all the years in the band, including swallowing the lack of guitar solos on St Anger, only to shred on DM and HW2SD is inspiring. He went through a tough time and decided to make the best of it and NOT QUIT the band.

Robert? The dude is a cool guy who wants the best for his bandmates. He's talented and has laid down some killer stuff on DM and HW2SD.

So, as a 52 year old Metallica fan, I accept your grievances with the band and I hope that the power of Metallica’s music brings you back someday.

Peace


Doug's Response:

very well said bro, and much respect.

No comments: