Friday, August 4, 2023

Technical Writers: The Unsung Heroes of Customer Experience

Lately, I don't really think about "technical writing" as an industry nearly as much as in days past. I can cite the reality that, in 2023, I didn't create a post with the "Technical Writing" label until Tuesday, March 14, 2023, and that post was simply a link to elsewhere - https://prhmusic.blogspot.com/2023/03/blog-post.html - with zero words written by me. I'm unsure why this is the case as I still go to work and when I arrive, I am a Senior Technical Writer - that is still my title and that is still my role. Maybe that is why the article below made me revisit this idea that I have had in my head for quite a while, which is to explain that yes, my title and role is that of a Senior Technical Writer, but no, I do not do the work of a traditional Senior Technical Writer. I consider the traditional role of a Senior Technical Writer to be the role of learning a subject area to the degree that documentation about that subject area can be written. I don't do that. I consider myself to be more of a Documentation Assembler. For the 3 major projects with which I am involved, I rely on other co-workers to write documentation and then, in some instances, I may proofread the content, but in 90% of the work I do, I don't even proofread or edit the content. Literally, I assemble the work of others into a cohesive presentation of the content that is then distributed. That statement is true for 

  1. The Disaster Recovery documentation project
  2. The Knowledge Management project
  3. The Operations Manual project

I'm not complaining as the way I do my work is aligned with what I like to do. I like to write DOS batch files in a folder with 

            81126 File(s) 43,575,880,874 bytes
            7655 Dir(s)  349,230,120,960 bytes free  

and eliminate a bunch of files until there are only 8379 files with only the following file types:

*.mp4, *.docx, *.doc, *.zip, *.xps, *.xml, *.xltx, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xls, *.vss, *.vsdx, *.vsdm, *.vsd, *.vdx, *.txt, *.pub, *.pptx, *.ppt, *.png, *.pdf, *.onetoc2, *.one, *.msg, *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.csv

I doubt many Senior Technical Writers are like me.

In any case, read the following article about how Technical Writers are the unsung heroes of customer experience.


https://thecontentwrangler.substack.com/p/technical-writers-the-unsung-heroes-bae?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=1587018&post_id=135611902&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email - Technical Writers: The Unsung Heroes of Customer Experience

No comments: