Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2026

40 Years Ago

Today is the 40th anniversary of Cliff Burton dying in a bus accident http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metallica-bassist-cliff-burton-dies-in-a-bus-accident. I was 16 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 2 days (6141 days) old when he died. Today, I am 56 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 2 days (20751 days) old.
From the description for the video below:

Cliff Burton was one of the best bass players ever. He was a big part of Metallica. He taught James about harmonies. He went to college for music. He practiced 8 hours a day. He could play bass with his fingers faster than most on an electric guitar. His death was a tragic one, which greatly effected James, Kirk, and Lars. His life was too short, like an unfinished song. Rest in peace.


This is what Metallica sounded like on September 13, 2018:


And this is what their creative process was like when recording the Hardwired to Self-Destruct album.


And here are what "Ultimate Classic Rock" named as Metallica's Best Songs on March 5, 2013, which has nothing to with the date on which Cliff Burton died. If it were my list, I would find a way to include either "The Judas Kiss" and / or "All Nightmare Long" instead of "Nothing Else Matters." I might also replace "Fuel" with "The Frayed Ends of Sanity."
10) Fuel
9) One
8) For Whom the Bell Tolls
7) Sad But True
6) Master of Puppets
5) The Four Horsemen
4) Creeping Death
3) Nothing Else Matters
2) Seek & Destroy
1) Enter Sandman

No comments: