Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Metallica - Ride The Lightning Demos 1983

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nbO9oPdCk&is=UoxAojcLhZqPPXV8

From the video description (not my writing below!)
---------------------------------------
These are the original demo versions of 4 tracks that would appear on 1984's Ride The Lightning album by Metallica... 
1. Fight Fire with Fire- 0:00​
2. Ride The Lightning- 4:58​
3. Creeping Death- 11:37​
4. When Hell Freezes Over(The Call of Ktulu)- 18:45​
If you're as big of a fan as I am of this early stuff, it's pretty cool hearing these classics in their primitive, more stripped down & not quite finished state... There are some noticeable adjustments they had yet to make in regard to the lyrics, the arrangements & leads... Ride The Lightning would be the 1st Metallica album in which Cliff Burton's influence really began to shine within the over all direction & sound of the band & it's cool to hear some of the early lead bass flourishes here in When Hell Freezes Over also... An increased sense/use of melody, harmony & dynamics in addition to more interesting/advanced arrangements, better production & better playing made Ride The Lightning a significant progression from Kill 'em All & in hindsight, made it clear that the brilliance of Master of Puppets was well on it's way... Ride The Lightning was also the last Metallica album to feature any of Dave Mustaine's musical contributions(Ride The Lightning & When Hell Freezes Over(The Call of Ktulu)... This is the 1st demo to feature Hammett & one can tell that he hadn't quite figured out what he we going to do on Ride The Lightning or what would be The Call of Ktulu... I recently Unearthed some of my old cassette tapes & found a bunch of old live stuff & demos that I've had since the 80s, so there may be more stuff like this to come soon... This particular demo was already posted on Youtube, but quite frankly, I thought my copy sounded better than the other one I listened to, so I figured it was only right to share...
Recorded on October 24th 1983
1. Fight Fire with Fire- 0:00​
2. Ride The Lightning- 4:58​
3. Creeping Death- 11:37​
4. When Hell Freezes Over(The Call of Ktulu)- 18:45​
James Hetfield- Rhythm Guitar & Vocals
Kirk Hammett- Lead Guitar
Cliff Burton- Bass
Lars Ulrich- Drums
---------------------------------------

No comments: