Sunday, March 30, 2008

Not really worth 4.5 hours in the car... right?

As a continuation of the lack of quality events (concerts, pro wrestling) in my area, I noticed that http://www.tnawrestling.com/content/view/596/40/ announces TNA is coming to Spencer, Iowa! Hey, at least it's in the state - I guess that's some sort of progress - and since I live in North Liberty, IA, I plugged my address and the address of the venue into mapquest.com and... dang geography. It's 4.5 hours away, my favorite TNA wrestler (Sting) isn't even mentioned as being on the card and, well, if the show starts @ 7:30, I'd have to leave work no later than 2:30 and have excellent driving weather. Then, after ~3 hours (at least), it'd be 10:30 (see, us English majors can do math) and then I'd have another 4.5 hour drive, getting me home @ 3 AM! Hypothetically, I could stop-over in Cedar Falls - possibly - to stay @ my brother-in-law's house overnight and then finish the drive in the AM. Tickets for that show start out @ $18 and the 'best available' per Ticketmaster.com were not great - not even with the ring straight ahead of me. I don't understand TNA - they could have booked the US Cellular Center - I know there's probably no concert scheduled there! - and had a good crowd. Instead, they book Spencer, IA. What the heck is in Spencer? The venu only has the TNA show and a Frank Sinatra tribute booked. Doesn't make sense.

In other news, way back in 2006, I went to the Waterstock concert in Des Moines, IA. Poison, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Dokken, and a slew of other bands played - you can read the review - and it was a really great time. I got in for free through Poison's publicist, made some friends for a day and had a blast. According to this site, there isn't any indication that the event will happen this year.

So since that show doesn't seem feasible, I looked at the Picador to see what they have coming up. They have an excellent - on paper - all ages show on Friday, April 18. I have a CD from Destrophy, but I haven't heard any of the other bands on the bill which include

Freaklabel - from Cedar Rapids
Marcato - from Cedar Falls
Far From Falling - from Twin Cities - WOW! I like this!
doors at 5pm

That's silly. I don't get out of work until 5 and it's a 1/2 drive to my house, plus ... well, the earliest I could be @ the venue would be 6. Maybe that'd be when Far From Falling would kick off - if they are indeed first and Destrophy is headlining.

No comments: