Saturday, October 18, 2008

Belly = Full!

We played @ 5:15 Mass tonight. We did a song called "Sing of the Lord's Goodness" which is in 5/4 time. The count is 12-123 12-123 and it sounds a lot like Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" piece, which is famous for Joe Morello's drum solo. No, no drum solo from me. I must admit, though, I played this song 20 years ago in Cedar Rapids at St. Pius X and when I played it then, I had a) no idea who Joe Morello or Dave Brubeck were and b) I wasn't nearly as good of a drummer as I think I am now. I played my drums to mimic the melody and had no idea how it was counted. Tonight, though, was different. I wasn't quick enough to stretch out, but I could feel the pulse and played the ride and snare on different beats while my bass drum and hi-hat kept straight time.

Here's a 5/4 groove solo that sounds good.




After Mass, we went to Eggy's on 965. I had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger and a couple of pints of Miller Lite. Tasted awesome.

We rented "27 Dresses" and per IMDB.com, it's about a 6 out of 10 star movie. Great.

Tomorrow we're going to CR to do some birthday shopping for Alex, then to Alex's basketball practice @ 3. New "Desperate Housewives" episode too.

No comments: