Thursday, June 17, 2021

Seeking A but Found (Fascinating) B

I love DOS, but I don't always understand it. For example, if I go to my I: drive and type:

Dir *.* /s

that command will include the files in my Recycle.bin.

I don't want those files to be included. Thus, I went to Google.com and entered the following search string:

In the search results, I clicked the first line and ended up learning about PowerShell: list the files in the recycle bin older 100 days. Was that what I wanted to know. No, not really. However, I liked the fact that I discovered information about a topic I know very little about - Powershell - to start my day. When I typed: Dir *.* /s at the command line, I saw this result:

And when I changed the directory to I:\$RECYCLE.BIN and entered the Dir *.* /s command, I saw this:

Thus, the actual files on my I: drive is
308495 - 5311 = 303,184
and
the actual directories on my I: drive is
283767 - 160368 = 123,399
When I started my day, all I wanted to do was to go to my I: drive and type dir i:\*.* /s and see
303,184 File(s)
123,399 Dir(s)
Maybe I'll figure out how to do that another day.

No comments: