Friday, June 4, 2021

They are Wailing and Gnashing Any Teeth within their Toddler-Sized Teeth

When I saw the headline for this story Employees Are Quitting Instead of Giving Up Working From Home, my first thought was "if an employee quits their job, I surely hope that there is a plan for the employee to pay their monthly bills because I don't want my taxes to pay for THEIR monthly bills if the employee impulsively quits." Per the article - Employees Are Quitting Instead of Giving Up Working From Home- The drive to get people back into offices is clashing with workers who’ve embraced remote work as the new normal - it seems as though that IS a legitimate concern. Consider this quote from the article:

Call it PTSD or whatever you want, but the idea of walking into work, learning there is a change in policy, and then turning around, impulsively, without the possibility of returning "tomorrow" terrifies me. In my mind, it reminds me, perhaps too vividly, what I felt 1955 days (5 years, 4 months, 1 week, 1 day) ago. On that day, January 26, 2016, I was laid off at Pearson. I had walked into the building with every intention of walking into the building "tomorrow" but due to a "change in policy" (my position was being eliminated), I was not going to be able to do that. I was terrified! I was losing my income! 

Maybe that is why the quote about co-workers impulsively quitting their job rubs me the wrong way in so many ways. To me, those employees are children throwing an impulsive temper tantrum. I can liken it to if a child is told, "No, you can't continue drawing with crayon on the wall" and, in reaction to that change in policy, you watch as the child begins to wail and gnash any teeth within their toddler-sized mouth. 


No comments: