Thursday, March 10, 2022

It could be a Battle of CR at the Boys State Basketball Tournament on Friday night

These are the upcoming games for the Class 4A Boys State Basketball Tournament today.

Class 4A

  • No. 1 Ames (21-3) vs. No. 4 Cedar Rapids Kennedy (21-3), 5:30 p.m.
  • No. 7 Prairie (18-6) vs. No. 3 Johnston (20-3), 7:15 p.m.

If 

Kennedy finds a way to defeat Ames today 

and 

Prairie finds a way to defeat Johnston today

then 

the 2022 4A Boys State Basketball Tournament Championship game tomorrow night at 7 PM will be Kennedy vs. Prairie in a battle for not only the 4A Boys State Basketball Tournament Championship, but for bragging rights for Cedar Rapids. 

Typically, I resist the "Back in my days of high school" game. Between 1989 and early 2014, when Alex was on the freshman basketball team and had a game at Kennedy, I hadn't been in Kennedy. Then, from early 2014 until today, I have not stepped inside Kennedy. So yes, I haven't stepped foot in Kennedy High School for 8 years. However, I will say that I don't remember in high school whether CR Prairie was a powerhouse boys basketball team - I don't recall any specific basketball game scores from any basketball game I went to in high school when I was in pep band. Sigh. I can't even say what the final score was when Kennedy played in the 1988 4A Boys State Basketball Tournament Championship game. I do remember Kennedy lost that game. I also remember I played snare drum and ROCKED the snare solo when the pep band played the theme from "Rocky" because the other snare drummer's snare head broke.

Ah, good memories. My smile is a mile wide...

Editor's Note: Kennedy lost to Ames by double digits; Prairie won their game.

No comments: