Monday, September 16, 2019

I Really Don't Mind This Tip Except...

As I was scanning through my emails this AM, I saw my WindowsTips email arrived at 5:01 AM. It made me pause and wonder, "Someone actually was awake enough prior to 5:01 AM to send out the email?" Then I settled upon the idea that there is such a thing as automated sending of email - even Microsoft Outlook has it - and resolved my own question by presuming the email was finished prior to 5:01 AM and was sent out through an automated job. These were the tips in today's WindowsTips email arrived at 5:01 AM:

I am using Windows 7 so I am not interested in HEVC and HEIF files at the moment. I know that the Add UserForms to Your Macros tip is a class and I'm unlikely to pay for it so I am uninterested. The Narrator functionality is not something I really need at this point, though I did notice that the icon associated with "an accessibility feature designed for people who have trouble reading text that's on the screen" is in a wheelchair, which is fine, but it made me wonder if there was some sort of automated process that searched for and selected that icon based upon the "accessibility" keyword. I have no idea if icons can be automatically assigned based upon search criteria - maybe I'm thinking too much about it. The final tip was more interesting to me - Repairing Your System Using a System Repair Disk - so I clicked the link.

As it turns out, I was right about it being interesting. I read the first sentence and while I don't mind how the first sentence establishes the prerequisite for using the article, I do quibble about the way that first sentence is unhelpful. Here's the first sentence - "Assuming you've created a system repair disk (which is covered in another tip), you can use it to get your system up and running if it crashes and cannot be booted via normal means. It made me pause and wonder, "Well, if I don't have a system repair disk, where is the article to read about doing that? That's why I think it would be more helpful if which is covered in another tip was a hyperlink to that other tip, which is located here.

No comments: