Monday, September 16, 2019

Sadly, No Additional Clarity Available

I truly didn't get much out of my "Introduction to American Politics" class I took at Mount Mercy College in the spring of 1989. I have the spiral notebook I used to take notes during class and, for the most part, all I really did was track how many circles remained before class was over. I remember I had to write a report about the way the budget is decided and what I remember the most about that paper is that the President is responsible for submitting a budget to Congress, who then must pass it and then send the budget back to the President to be signed into law . . . well, maybe it's not a law, but it's something like that! As I said, I didn't get much out of that class. However, armed with that faded memory from 30 years ago, I find it kind of misleading that this blurb places the rise of the deficit on President Trump. Vaguely, I also recall that it's Congress who passes spending bills. I know there was a recent spending bill that President Trump said he didn't like, but it was the only option presented to him so he signed it.

Knowing what I do about the notes in that spiral notebook, I doubt there would be no additional clarity achieved by locating it. Sigh.


No comments: