Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Invite Retracted

Ha! I didn't want to go to the U.K. for a meeting in the first place!




I am a liar. I would love to go to the U.K. for pretty much any reason you can think of. I want to see where Black Sabbath hung out. I want to see where The Beatles hung out. I want to see where Led Zeppelin hung out. I am not naive to think that just because I'm in the city where they used to hang out, I would see Black Sabbath (Tony Iommi, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler and Ozzy Osbourne) or members of the Beatles (only Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney are still alive) or members of Led Zeppelin (only Robert Plant and John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page are still alive) when I went to those cities. Does any of those legends I just mentioned actually still live in those cities? I don't think it's relevant to my point.

My point in writing about all of this is to recap a recent conversation I was in. I talked to someone I know about how I would like to go to the U.K. someday and see those places. I also lamented that Karen would have zero interest in such a trip. I believe that because I relate this fictional trip to the U.K. with when Karen and I were in Long Beach, CA, for WinWriters 2007. While I was excited and giddy when our bus tour took us to the Sunset Strip bars, like The Rainbow and The Whiskey A-Go-Go, I was so excited! To me, that was a highlight of the entire trip - it was truly awesome. While I didn't see any of the legends of the bands that used to frequent those establishments, just being where Lars Ulrich, James Hetfield, and Kirk Hammett asked Jason Newsted to join Metallica felt amazing. 

That's why I feel odd to acknowledge that I want to go to those places in the U.K. because, as I said, I know I won't meet any of those musicians; frankly, I'm not sure what I could say to any of them without gushing like an idiot if I did actually see any of them. I'm certain I would be like any other of their millions of fans if, for example, I asked for an autograph. Wow. Just the thought of asking Bill Ward or Ringo Starr for an autograph sends shivers down my spine. I would ask for an autograph from any of the others, especially Ozzy Osbourne, but Bill & Ringo would be my targets.

Before I move on, can you imagine if those musicians got in the same room together and just jammed? That would be something to hear! Of all those musicians, only the original members of Black Sabbath (Tony Iommi, Bill Ward, Geezer Butler and Ozzy Osbourne) are still alive . . . and they don't play music together anymore. How sad!

Anyways, I'm okay that the invitation was retracted 53 minutes after I received it - I so do not like making anyone feel disappointment.g

No comments: