Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Automation! I'm A Fan

I started a DOS Batch file yesterday. It ran for 8 hours, 51 minutes. It began processing at 11:55 AM and ran until 8:51 PM, as you can see here:
On the J: EHD, I have a folder that includes all of my duplicate music files, which is 12177 files. I wanted to make a backup of those files before I use RenamerPro to change the file names to not have a (*) within the file name.

When I right-clicked on J:\dups-music and selected Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder, I would see error messages about unsupported characters within a file name. I saw the same type of error message when I set up the DOS Batch file to create backup .zip files of my RoboHelp projects. Thus, that is why I use HandyBackup to create the .zip files instead of using the Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder method.

Because I may want to know this in the future, this is the content within the file:
cd\
j:
cd j:\dups-music
for /d %%X in (*) do "G:\handyBackup\ws64\7z.exe" a "%%X.zip" "%%X\" -mx=5


The file is stored in this folder: G:\batfiles\J_zipall-J-Dups-Music-Requires--G-HandyBackup.bat. Hopefully, I will always be able to search for J_zipall-J-Dups-Music-Requires--G-HandyBackup.bat and be able to find it.

No comments: