Thursday, December 19, 2019

Easter Eggs and Treats in "Joker"

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019, Karen, Megan, and I went to see "Frozen II" at the Coral Ridge Theater. The person behind the counter had a name tag and under the name was the word "Joker". I asked the person behind the counter if "Joker" was a good movie and the person said it was. The person behind the counter went on to say that "Joker" would be leaving the theater after next week. I said that I had debated whether I wanted to see "Joker" in the theater or wait until it came out on DVD. The person behind the counter replied that I should definitely see "Joker" in the theater. Thus, I made plans to see "Joker" on Tuesday, December 17, 2019, at the 5:45 PM showing. When the movie began, there were 5 people in the theater. I sat in the back row of the theater and, to my right, was an empty seat, then who I presumed to be a married couple older than I. Towards the middle of the theater, there was a couple and, if pressed, I would guess their ages to be mid-20s. It was a guy and a girl who I presumed to be a dating couple.

The movie began.

It was a slowly paced movie with not a lot of action or excitement. I was impressed with the actor who played Arthur Fleck, who transforms into "Joker" by the end of the movie, almost instantly. I had read a lot of information about the movie online since the movie's release on October 4, 2019. For example, I knew that there would be characters that were introduced from the world of DC's "Batman" world, which makes sense because "Joker" (the character) is Batman's greatest foe. I thought those introductions were handled properly.

I should have made a better mental note of when it happened so I could be more specific, but I didn't so I would guess that about 45 minutes into the movie, the younger couple towards the middle of the theater got up and walked out of the movie. I admit that I had briefly considered doing the same thing.

The movie dragged on and, well, I began to be bored, which does not usually happen to me. However, I did not get up and walk out prior to the end of the movie. I stayed for the entire movie.

It's now Thursday, December 19, 2019. The movie has been in my head for an entire day, I decided it would be fun to go watch all the Easter Eggs and hidden clues in "Joker" with its viewing fresh in my head. Thus, I went to YouTube.com and found 18 videos that, in their title, indicate that there are Easter eggs and hidden clues. I am writing this post without thoroughly watching every video in the following playlist. I can say that if you have not seen "Joker" and don't want to know anything about the movie, you probably should skip this playlist. That's a wordy way to say [SPOILERS!!!]:


No comments: