Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Don't Recall This on my Radar 23 Years Ago

I don't know why, but I don't recall being aware of this concert in 1997. Had I known about it, I'd like to think I would have found a way to go, despite it being on a Wednesday. Megan would have been 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day (175 days) old so perhaps that fact was what persuaded me from even considering it. At the same time, I was writing music reviews for ICON, a newspaper in Iowa City that has ceased publication. I remember that I had been able to see at least one concert through press credentials but, perhaps, I didn't pursue going to it because of having a young baby at home. I did keep a journal in 1997 so I do think I will look at it tonight to see if I even mentioned that my favorite band was playing a concert about 1 hour away.

One other quick comment is that this was the Load tour. They were played Nothing Else Matters but it was positioned after the Bass/Guitar Doodle, #10 in a 20 tune set. I actually like that placement instead of having it be the lead-in to Enter Sandman. They played 4 tunes from Load at this concert:
  1. Until It Sleeps
  2. King Nothing
  3. Ain't My Bitch
  4. Hero of the Day
None of those tunes were played when I saw Metallica at the Newton Speedway in June 2017. I'd have to go look, but I don't believe any of those tunes are normally included in their setlist anymore.





No comments: