Thursday, February 13, 2020

Tribute to Rush that I DID NOT Write


A friend of mine years ago told me that when you’re traveling through the town of Misery don’t stop to look around. I thought it was good advice. Neil’s passing hasn’t been easy but I take comfort in believing a couple of things. First, he set out to be the best he could be and I think he achieved that beyond measure. Second, he didn’t care about fame or fortune yet he acquired both as a “consequence” of his actions. He lost a family yet gained a new one. Some never do. He had a second family in Geddy and Alex, something I’m sure he never took for granted. Many great bands didn’t have what Rush had, the Beatles certainly didn’t, Kiss doesn’t , and Metallica doesn’t. There’s no feeling of true brotherhood in those bands like Rush had. They worked and got along perfectly whereas other bands fought and hated each other to the point of breaking up. Neil had a loving family and loving band mates. He literally had everything most people wish they could have and that’s leaving money and fame aside. Most importantly I believe that the man who couldn’t pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend did us all a favor by not telling us what he was going through. We feel as though Neil is family and I know how I would feel if a family member is fighting a no win battle. It would suck beyond all measure. He spared us that and I believe it was his last and most important selfless act for his fans. Thanks to Geddy and Alex for taking on that burden for us all. Rush is like no other band in the world!

No comments: