Friday, May 28, 2021

Disgusting

Adobe, the company, has been releasing RoboHelp for 13 years, per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_RoboHelp. I use version 2015, which was released on June 8, 2015, a whopping 2181 days (5 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 6 days ago. Between the release of RoboHelp 2015 and RoboHelp 2017, I started working at my present job and, because of the timing of when I needed to choose a Help Authoring Tool (HAT), I did not have the option to choose version 2017. Fast-forward a few years and Adobe creates a Beta testing program, which is over, for an upcoming version of RoboHelp. I signed up and requested a  Virtual Desktop Instance (VDI) to be set up so as to not disrupt my "Production" laptop. I worked with the Beta version for several months. Last month, when I was issued a laptop to replace the laptop I was issued when I began at my employer, I had RoboHelp 2020 installed on it. The idea was to put that version through one last push of trying to decide whether I should upgrade from RoboHelp 2015 to RoboHelp 2020. My verdict? No, I should not.

The following screenshot shows how lowly RoboHelp is in the Adobe family of products. I didn't blur the screenshot at all. It shows that Adobe is "okay" with releasing a video about RoboHelp 2020 with very poor quality. I am using the "original" size of the screenshot to demonstrate that there was no resizing that could have impacted its quality, which is why it looks grossly huge and cuts into the options on the right.


The image above is from the video below.

I plan to use RoboHelp 2015 for the next 15 years.

No comments: