Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Never Seen This Layout For a Job Ad

Editor's Note: I want to preface this post by stating, quite simply, I am extremely happy to work for my employer and in no way shape or form am I thinking about leaving. I am only writing what I am writing today because I saw something worth writing about earlier today.

I don't write about this topic often so this may come as a shock: I am fascinated by job ads. For over 30 years, which is when I was in my sophomore year at college, I vividly remember scanning the Sunday Classified ads in the Cedar Rapids Gazette because I wanted to find a different job than working at the Spring House Restaurant, but I never found what I was looking for in that section.

Then, when I was nearing graduation from college, I remember scanning the Classified ads in the Cedar Rapids Gazette every day because I wanted to find a full-time, permanent job so that I could leave my job at the Spring House Restaurant. Eventually, I saw the ad for APAC Teleservices in late summer of 1992 and was eventually hired to work for that company.

However, my scanning of the Classified ads never waned.

When I was hired at my first Technical Writer position at NDP, I continued to scan the Classified ads in the Cedar Rapids Gazette because I felt like I should move on to another company. Eventually, I saw the ad for Jordan Systems in January 1998 and was eventually hired to work for that company.

However, my scanning of the Classified ads never waned.

When I was working at Jordan Systems, I learned that there was economic uncertainty within the company. I was shifted from Technical Writer to Data Entry in order to generate revenue for the company. I continued to scan the Classified ads in the Cedar Rapids Gazette because I felt like I should move on to another company, especially given the fact that Karen was pregnant with our second child. Eventually, I saw the ad for Quintrex Data Systems in August 1998 and was eventually hired to work for that company.

However, my scanning of the Classified ads in the Cedar Rapids Gazette never waned. If anything, it pushed me to what became an obsession for me between 2004 and 2010, when the Internet "happened".

When I was working at Quintrex Data Systems, I longed to find a part-time gig to supplement my income. I dreamed of working at Quintrex Data Systems during the day and then running my own Technical Writing Consulting Business (I called it the TWCB) after work. I was able to do that, through contract work with HiMARKS, Collective Data, and the company that has a software called "Help & Manual" at various points in time during my dozen years at Quintrex Data Systems. However, I also was seeking a different permanent full-time Technical Writer job for various reasons. I looked at all sorts of job ads for local as well as non-local companies. I had a sub-folder of bookmarks for local companies so I could review any new openings on a regular basis. Eventually, I saw the ad for the Unnamed Hellhole in southern Iowa on their website and was eventually hired to work for that company.

And I'll end the story there, just because of the sheer repetition of this post may be lulling you to sleep.

My point is that I have looked at hundreds, if not thousands, of job ads in my lifetime and today was my first time seeing a "regular" job ad with a two-column layout. Sure, I've seen two-column ads in newspapers, but I don't recall seeing an online ad. To be clear, no, there's nothing exciting about a two-column layout. Certainly, I'm not going to apply for this position with O.C. Tanner in Salt Lake City, UT. I just had never seen it in the 30 years that I have looked at job ads.



No comments: