Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Building a Great Promo

A great promo in professional wrestling finds a new way to
  1. Recaps the past
  2. Comments about the present
  3. Predicts the future

For example, a professional wrestler comes to the ring and is smiling. He gets the mic and says the following:

  1. Last night's pay-per-view was a test. A test that few people could have passed, but I did. I passed the test because I am your new champion. I found myself laying on my back in the middle of this ring and I thought I can either get up and take another smack to my face, I can get up and take more punishment, and spill more blood... or I can lay here and give up.
  2. Today, as your new champion, I counted 3 people today, people who I thought were my friends, people who I have gone up and down the roads and fought next to since I came to this company, and know what they each told me: 'You don't deserve to be champion' - you haven't paid your dues.' I admit, I was puzzled. Each was my friend until I did what they couldn't do. I fought a war last night, and after winning that war... I wanted to celebrate with them. Instead, they tried to diminish who I am, how much pain I endured to get to where I am... I did what they could not do and now, I know why. Jealous. They are all jealous of who I am. I did what they could not, what they failed to do. I am the champion and last night, I gave every speck and every ounce of strength that I could find.
  3. So to my so-called friends, I have a message for each of you and it's the same message. I am going to speak slowly so that you will understand and so I don't have to repeat myself a dozen times. I am never giving up this belt to you. This championship has a new home, over my shoulder. If you want to come at me, I'm here. You know where to find me. There's no one in that locker room who can take this from me... but I invite you to try. Muster all of your skill, your talent, and all of your blood, your sweat, your anger, your jealousy, and bring it to this ring and I will be waiting for you. I will be a fighting champion and if you want to fight, you have to remember this one thing, which is quite simply that you need to let go of your fantasy of being champion. Now that I have this belt, I will not give it up without a fight.So, if you want to fight, if you want to be the one that thinks that they can knock me down, to take what is mine, I am ready. My mind is ready, my fists most certainly are ready, and here's the thing. I'm already in the ring. I have my gear on. I'm waiting for you.


No comments: