Wednesday, September 14, 2022

The Challenges of Phasing Out Old Technology and Bringing in the New

From The Challenges of Phasing Out Old Technology and Bringing in the New:
No matter the siren song of new technology there are always challenges when systems and tech come to their natural end of life. It's hard to completely decommission fax machines, telephones, and backup tapes! Recently Japan’s digital minister has declared war on floppy disks, decades after the technology became largely obsolete, but could encounter opposition from nostalgic devotees inside the country’s vast bureaucracy.

I admit that yes, I am a technology hoarder. I have a container of cords from technology gone by. I have an old TV in our sump pump storage room that I have kept because you never know when it could be needed even while thinking that I will never need it. All that to say no, I do not own any floppy disks.

No comments: