Saturday, April 18, 2009

Good to be Me...

Have you ever felt awesome about the work you accomplished? I did on Thursday. With help from a support rep, I created a batch file that compiles all of my UI projects in 3 minutes. I used to allow a 1/2 hour for this! Now, 3 minutes is all I need. Read this:

-----Original Message-----
From: [My Manager]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:25 AM
To: [Me]
Cc: [CEO]
Subject: RE: 93716

[Me]
This is wonderful! As we talked, this is exactly the type of thing we all need to question and explore to make our jobs more efficient. It is also reassuring to know we are receiving valued support through our [support] maintenance in providing us with additional tools that we need. Thank you again for your efforts to streamline the process.

[My Manager]

-----Original Message-----
From: [Me]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:02 AM
To: '[Product Manager]'
Cc: '[support_rep_that_helped_me]'; [My Manager]
Subject: 93716

[Product Manager],

I wanted you to know that [support_rep_that_helped_me] assisted me with incident 93716, which I just closed. I wanted to have a batch file that would compile each of my 18 collections. Previously, I had to open each collection, set the version field, compile, exit the collection, and continue. As a rule of thumb, I allowed a 1/2 hour for me to manually complete this process.

I am writing to you today to tell you that, under [support_rep_that_helped_me]'s patient guidance, I now have a batch file that compiles all of my collections in 3 minutes. Built in to the batch file is the ability to modify version,for example, when we go from [version 1] to [version 2], so there is no reason I cannot double-click my file and go for a walk while the files compile.

[support_rep_that_helped_me]'s excellent customer support was key in making this incident successfully resolved. I know that if I have an issue, your support staff will be able to solve it.

So now, our CEO knows I just saved 27 minutes! That is good for me.

I need to shower and leave for Waterloo so that's all. Maybe I'll write more tomorrow AM before the cymbal sale.

No comments: