Monday, April 6, 2009

MSU STINKS!

In early 2009, the men's MSU basketball team played Iowa @ Carver Hawkeye Arena. I took Alex to see that game. The game started and, in the blink of an eye, MSU was ahead something crazy like 22-8. It was a disgraceful display by my beloved Iowa Hawkeyes. MSU played possessed basketball. They nailed 3s, they drove the lane, they passed, they took care of the ball and, frankly, outplayed, outhustled, and outgunned Iowa.

Tonight, then, in the national championship game, I couldn't help but smile a bit. No, I certainly did not wish them to lose by 17 points on the national stage. But... I also wanted them to be humbled a bit. Coach Tom Izzo irked me the other day when he talked about how the Big Ten conference was a strong conference. Specifically, he mentioned Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Penn State as being tough teams to play in the Big Ten Conference.

Coach Izzo, you forgot Iowa. Maybe they might as well have laid down for you and taken it on the chin to start the game because they ultimately took a few in the gut, but really... I was put off by his comments. I think he needs to remember that Iowa's Jake Kelly lit up the last few games of the year.

If only he were not transferring to Indiana State. I guess I didn't write about that when that news broke. Iowa's bright spots for next year were going to be the return of Matt Gatens and Jake Kelly. Jeff Peterson would be another bright spot and Jermaine Davis. Jarryd Cole may actually have a good season as well as he fights back from his knee injury. But then Kelly announced he was leaving. Davis is leaving as well and *I think* Peterson is going too. That's all sad. I wish they were all staying.

Back to tonight's game. The closest MSU could get tonight was 13 in the second half. They couldn't hit wide open 3s and they committed way too many turnovers. I honestly think that the national title game should be decided by 2 or 3 points. A 17 point margin is a blowout. The two teams in the national championship should be able to play close to each other.

My hat is off to North Carolina tonight. Tremendous job. I knew when they beat Duke that they were going to win the national championship.

Really.

Seriously.

Okay, fine. I had no idea NC was that good but they proved it tonight.

No comments: