Sunday, April 26, 2009

What a week... and it only gets funner...

My brain is fried. The last 7 days were long, tiring, rewarding, and, now, over.

  1. On Tuesday, Alex had baseball practice.


  2. On Wednesday, I drove to and from Des Moines (by myself) for the Bayside show. That was phenomenal. I met up with Travis and Dave and had a good time. I got on the road around 11 and was in bed by 1.

  3. On Thursday, I got up at 6 - so it was a short short night - worked, came home, went to Alex's baseball practice and Megan's softball practice, came home, loaded the truck for spring cleanup day, and went to bed.

  4. On Friday, I got up and helped Karen get ready for work - her foot is still in a cast 8 weeks later. After she left, I put two cases of beer and two cases of miscellaneous soft drinks into our garage fridge. I took our two card tables and chairs from the furnace room and had them ready. I did a quick clean up throughout the house. Then I got the kids up and helped them make their beds. Then I went to work. I donated blood. I asked if I could drink alcohol and she told me to make sure to drink a lot of water before I do.

    This is where it gets good.

    While I was at work, Dave came over on his Harley and gave the kids rides. Then he told Karen that they had had a good time last week and we should go out for happy hour. So, when I got home, we went to pick up Dave and Cindy. We went to Gus' and had good conversation. We went home and were getting ready to play cards when all of a sudden, there was a long line of cars honking their horns coming down our street.

    That was how we started Karen's surprise 40th birthday party. Bill had the keg in his vehicle so we got that set up. I backed out the van and truck. Keith and Len grabbed the card tables and chairs from the basement. My mother-in-law, her sister (Aunt Pat), my sister-in-law Chris, Debbie, and others went into the house and got the food set up. Mike and Steve went across the street to Mark and Jenny's and got Dave's tables and chairs. Paul from WI and I got the kids' toys moved from the back service door because the keg was to be set up on the cement block out that door.

    And within about 10 minutes, there were card tables and chairs set up in our garage, the keg was tapped, Aunt Pat had a rum and Pepsi in her hand, Karen had a beer, and the party was on! There were about 70 people, not counting kids, that came to her party. We did not run out of beverages or food, which is good.

    By 1:30 or so, everyone was gone and the kids were in bed. My son had 6 pops "because it was a party!" Megan was a bit distraught because I had not told her what I was planning. I think she thinks I should have trusted her to not tell Karen. By 2, I was in bed.

  5. On Saturday, I woke up @ 6:30 and, finally, @ 7, armed with a list for the grocery store, I got up and went to Spring Clean Up day. There was a huge line. Because I didn't have batteries or yard waste, I didn't have to go through the huge line and got to go to a garbage truck that was by the entrance to the landfill. I made it to Fareway by 7:40. They don't open until 8. I saw another customer go in so I went in. I was checked out by 8.

    I had a haircut @ 1:30 and was home by 2:15, which is when we left for Jonathan's 1st Communion in Cedar Falls. We had to turn around because there was a fear we had left a candle burning. It was out and put us behind schedule about 15 minutes.

    It didn't really matter. We were still there early.

    During Mass, it felt like it was 90 degrees. Karen says I slept during the homily and, I admit, when I woke up, I felt better. We went to Mark and Susie's for supper and left around 9:45.

    We got home and I started watching "Rudy" to unwind. The next thing I know, it's 1 AM and I'm still on the couch.
Now, today, Sunday, it is 11:30. I got up @ 9:30 and read the paper. Then I kicked Megan off the PC so I can write my New Found Glory/Bayside/Set Your Goals review for http://www.dailyvault.com/. I actually haven't sat @ this PC since last Monday night. How odd is that.

This coming week is going to be very busy.

Mon: Megan has softball practice. Karen has a doctor appointment for her foot to see how much longer she will be in her cast. It's been 8 weeks.
Tue: Alex has baseball practice
Wed: Pack for the weekend
Thur: Both kids have practice
Fri: It is Grandparent's Day @ Regina. I am leaving @ noon to go to it as is Karen. Both sets of Grandparents have commitments. At night, Mark and Susie and Jonathan and Tyler are staying at our house because...
Sat: We need to leave for Chicagoland no later than 7 for Danny's first communion Mass that is @ 12:30. Then we are staying overnight in Chicagoland.
Sun: Drive home

Mon: the grind starts all over again ....

No comments: