Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Spiderwick, Cleaning My Gun, and Cactus

I think I may be the last person on Earth to have seen "The Spiderwick Chronicles." Alex and Megan went to see it in the theater and we rented it last night. I liked it. I understand the storyline but I was disappointed with the DVD's "Bonus Features." I wanted to see how the movie was made - how they coordinated the human actors with the computer effects. How long did it take to animate the Griffin? What about the climatic battle when the troll is chasing the kid up the house? What about when the cab runs over the monster in town? How were those shots made and what amount of time did it take for them to be made? Also, I didn't get a clear sense as to whether there will be a sequel.

On to other stuff. Megan and I were the only 2 awake when that movie ended last night. We had planned to be in Elkader until today but since the forecast was for rain (and we spent Sunday night in the camper during a storm), we were ready to come home. Alex had a birthday party/sleepover and coming home meant he could go there. Since we were on the Sycamore Mall side of Iowa City, we went to Carlos O'Kelly's for supper. By the time the truck was unloaded and the phone stopped ringing, it was after 9. Karen fell asleep and Megan and I watched the movie.

On to other things: I really am not a country music fan, by definition, but I really like Rodney Atkins' "Cleaning My Gun" and "If You're Going through Hell" songs. I also have liked, and continue to like, the band 1997. Pollstar revealed to me today that they are going to play @ the Maintenance Shop in Ames, IA on Friday, October 17.

Finally, I am not really a 'plant' type of person - as much plant person as a 'country music' person - but I just noticed that I have been able to keep my grandmother's cactus alive in the den. I don't even know what kind of cactus it is - it's not a prickly dessert cactus b/c it doesn't have prickly things. It has flowers and doesn't get very tall.

In other final news, I am still anxiously awaiting Metallica's Death Magnetic. The Internet says Tuesday, September 16th, is when it should be released, but until I see it officially... I'm not in line @ Best Buy for it yet. I do plan to buy it the night it comes out. In fact, if I remember correctly, it actually was in stores on the Monday night.

My review of the Offspring's new CD is @ Dailyvault.com

No comments: