Wednesday, May 8, 2013

College

I used to watch Home Improvement a lot. I always consider it one of the best situation comedies that has ever been on television. I know that a lot of the show's contents focused solely on the Tim Allen character, Tim Taylor, getting hurt and being unable to stay out of the hospital. As I get older, though, I think the show's appeal to me is more about Tim Taylor growing as a father. The following episode is my all-time favorite. It focuses on Tim meeting up with Stu, his former college buddy. Stu lives in the past and wants Tim to join him in reliving 'all the great times' which leaves Tim torn. This all takes place on the backdrop of family night and spending time with his family.

It doesn't help that his wife is not Stu's advocate. Jill asks Tim if Stu would still be his friend and Tim says yes. Later, Wilson and Tim talk. Wilson uses the Bible quote about setting aside childish things and becoming an adult. Wilson also asks Tim is Stu your best friend or was he your best friend twenty years ago?

That statement resonates within me. I have friends like Stu. Treasured friends. Friends I would go through hell for. Friends I have been through hell with. Friends I don't talk to nearly enough. Friends that are never far from my thoughts.

I heard a story about two cousins over the weekend. "Misty" said that she missed "Kristina" and that she was sad they weren't close. As I listened to other details about the situation, not recorded here to protect Misty's privacy, I picked up the phone and gave it to her. "Call her."

When I reflect on that advice I so easily handed out, I realize that I often do not take my own advice. It is very easy for me to look at a situation I have no vested interest in - it really makes no difference in my life whether Misty and Kristina ever reconnect - but very difficult to act upon that advice in the relationships that are close to me. Is that because the habits, the tendencies, the expectations, that were formed a long time ago, are too difficult to overcome and act as barriers to a different phase of my relationships? I'm not going to find out today.

That all said, this episode is speaks volumes about the way I exist in this world.

No comments: