Thursday, February 3, 2022

Nostalgia is Awesome

Here's the thing. 

I am interested in any article about my favorite movies. That's why I am disappointed in the article: From Phantom Menace to ASM, Why Are We Nostalgic for Things We Hate? By Darren Mooney, which was posted 3 days ago. The link for this article is provided below.

Don't go read it now though. That's why I do not like this article. My not liking the article has nothing to do with the content whatsoever. There are solid arguments. What you can see is how many times the article links to other sites: 

  • first paragraph - 4 links
  • second paragraph - 4 links
  • third paragraph - 4 links
  • fourth paragraph - 2 links

I want to be clear - I think articles about my favorite movies should cite sites that supplement or provide contextual background information. However, I wonder why authors wants to send the reader to 14 other sites. To be clear, the author (Darren Mooney) of this article is not the only writer who links to other sites. And it's not the number of links - 14 links in 4 paragraphs is not a ratio that crosses a threshold I cannot endure. My objection is that the reader has to choose whether to click the link to leave the page or continue reading the sentence. 

I am aware of this in my daily work as a Senior Technical Writer. I don't want to send the reader to another place mid-sentence. I want the reader to finish the sentence. After finishing the sentence, I want the reader to decide: yes, I want to read more or no, I don't want to read more. I endorse a hierarchy of:

  1. Read the page you are viewing
  2. Read the page(s) that are linked to from the initial page. 

All that said, here's the link: From Phantom Menace to ASM, Why Are We Nostalgic for Things We Hate? By Darren Mooney 3 days ago


 

No comments: