Saturday, May 10, 2008

Growing Up

My daughter is growing up in front of my eyes. It is going fast and as a friend of mine told me today, "Pretty soon it'll be prom." He said that in context of talking about how his daughter wanted to stay up and make breakfast after prom.

Prom. What a joke. I have faint memories of what prom was really like. I like to romanticize it and say that it was fun and that I had a good time. I remember that my date and I went as friends. I remember that I didn't get home until 3-ish AM, which was a big deal for me. I also remember that I had to work the next morning at the restaurant. I didn't drink in high school so it wasn't being hung over that made that Sunday difficult - it was, authentically, getting up after only 3 hours of sleep.

Back to Megan. We left around 6:30 AM and went to McDonald's to have an Egg McMuffin. I think that was a time I won't forget. After breakfast, I drove her to school so that she could go on the school's bands' bus trip to Adventureland, in Des Moines. The parking lot was full of kids, 5th grade through 12th grade. I think that next year, if possible, I'd like to chaperone on this trip. I think it'd be fun.

It's now 9:40 AM and because my in-laws are in town, I doubt I will see this PC until Monday AM. That's okay - I really, authentically, like being around my in-laws. My father-in-law and I get along well and I like being around my favorite mother-in-law.

One last note: I think work is going to be very fun over the next months. There is a lot of initiatives I want to work on and even more that I probably don't know about.

No comments: