Monday, May 5, 2008

Slave to the Grind or Grinding to the Slave

I'm looking at my S CDs and I see Skid Row's "Slave to the Grind." I really wish that band would have stuck around longer in that SttG mentality. SttG is not hair metal - it is heavy metal. It is authoritative and mind-blowing, even today. There's the radio hit "Monkey Business" but that's probably the least best track. The best track is the ballad "Wasted Time" - the lyrics are potent. I will need to address this CD on http://www.dailyvault.com in the near future.

In other news, the Confirmation Mass was yesterday. Not to be egotistical, but I received many compliments on my drums. Every one thought the music sounded great. I played conservatively in the first few songs and then played more adventurous during the last song. The music ministry person gave me $20 so I guess I'm a pro. I am going to buy a new pair of "Hot Rod" brush/sticks because the ones I've been using for years have been whittled to useless.

Alex was my roadie and helped carry drums out to the car. I have a 4 door Achieva and I fit my 24" bass drum, 16" floor tom, 13" mounted tom, 14" snare, 18" ride, 14" crash, 14" hihats, a snare stand, two cymbal stands, and a hihat stand in my car, plus Alex. I used to have a 4 door Honda Accord and all of that equipment fit in that car as well. I like fitting all of my drums in a small car - it's my thing.

It's back to work. I have 26 projects that I think are going to be on the next update. It is going to be crazy at work until... well, probably September 1. There are many initiatives my manager and I have set up (that I won't discuss here in any great depth - too specific to the company to be relevant) that are in the works. Some are really exciting - like the conversion of 1200+ HTML files to a new CSS file - and some are not so much. I do love my job. I think that I was meant to be a Technical Writer. I have been with my employer since 10/1/98 and sometimes it's like I was born to be working at this company. The people are fantastic, the work is always challenging, and I have the audacity to think I can make a difference. Not bad for someone who begged their college professor to not fail my Student Teaching experience in the fall of 1991.

It's 7:10 AM and I need to progress.

1 comment:

serbi said...

I have to figure out how to get all my drums on my Harley Davidson.