Friday, May 2, 2008

The Rainy Friday Superstition [was:Tired]

Both my wife and I are tired. Our kids are tired. Everyone walks around in a constant fluid state, consistently wondering, "When can I go back to sleep?"

It's been a busy week. On Wednesday, I mowed our neighbor's yard. They moved to Oklahoma and my wife volunteered me. It was the first cut of the spring and the grass was long. Normally, I can whip through cutting grass. Wednesday, because it was so long, it took 2 hours to do his yard. I still had our yard to mow and it was ~8 PM!

I started in on our yard and did maybe 3/4ths of the front when the mower let out its last gasp and died. I couldn't pull the string to restart it. I had just filled the gas tank so that couldn't be the issue.

The next AM, I went to the local repair guy. The first thing he did was look in the place where oil is supposed to go. Had I put oil in the mower? Not for a couple of years. He says, "Lots of sludge, not much oil. I think it's dead" I left it there in his cemetery of mowers that don't work.

So, yesterday was a lot of calling around to find a replacement. Found one. Another Lawn Boy. Sharp. After $391.14, it's in our garage. My wife finished the front yard and then did the back. I'm confident the novelty of 'new lawn mower' will wear off by the time it's time to mow next week.

I had rehearsal for Confirmation Mass last night. Alex was my roadie and helped me carry my drums in. I admit we sounded pretty good. I've always been able to just start playing with someone and I didn't really mess up.

We returned home in time to see my Main Man Erik win immunity on Survivor - I have Natalie and Erik in our office pool so it's looking pretty good of winning if Erik can consistently win challenges! - before I left to go pick up Megan from softball practice. Got the kids into bed, watched Lost, taped ER, saw a little bit of TNA Wrestling, then went to bed. Tired. But I couldn't sleep.

Maybe tonight. It's rainy and dreary, http://www.kcrg.com/weather probably doesn't show a lot of sunshine today, 7:07 AM on Friday, 5/2/8, so maybe that's a good thing.

Want to read something weird? For as long as I can remember, I've been superstitious about rainy Fridays. In junior high, maybe even elementary, something 'great' happened on a rainy Friday. I believe great things happen on a rainy Friday. Sometimes it's getting a project completed at work, sometimes it's been doing well in student teaching, back in 1991. Sometimes it's being able to finish a coherent thought.

No comments: