Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Negan the Anti-Hero

Today is a day on which I wish I had a portfolio of the papers I wrote for my classes when I was in college. As an English major at Mount Mercy College in Cedar Rapids, IA, I wrote a lot of papers. I know that if I had that portfolio, I could re-read a paper I wrote for my "Milton & the 17th Century" class. I do know that in my pre-10 Year Project journals, I used Scotch tape to adhere that paper to a page in a spiral notebook. Because I do not have an index or list of which volume in those pre-10 Year Project notebooks has what paper, I have to go by memory.

What I remember is this: in "Paradise Lost," the character Satan is not a hero and could never be a hero. I defined hero as someone who does something not because the person believes there is a reward or payment of some sort. Satan's motives are impure. I wrote that paper because I would not accept "Satan" as having any heroic traits. I wanted to write that paper because I thinking about the character in relation to my view that Satan is the opposite of God and that the opposite of God is awful. Thus, the opposite of God that is awful could not have a single trait that I could admire. And so, I wrote that paper with (I think) double the number of references I was required to have for the paper. I wrote with passion and fire in my fingertips as I tap tap tapped on the keyboard in my parent's basement. I was driven to prove "Satan is a hero" could never EVER be true. Period. End of argument.

One other thing I remember about this paper is that I got a B+ for a grade!

Thus, when I read this article - Negan and the problem of the Anti-Hero - I felt that same sort of fire in the pit of my stomach.

No comments: