Tuesday, April 30, 2019

No

I recommend watching "13 Reasons Why,"  which is a series on Netflix. I have watched both seasons that have been released and while I liked Season 1 a bit more than Season 2, I will simply say I know what I'm talking about:

This article is bullshit:

Youth Suicide Rates Increased Following '13 Reasons Why' Debut


The only thing the article gets right is that there is a suicide by a high school student. The series then marches through how that suicide affects 13 other people that the high school student claims contributed to her decision to commit suicide. It's really ironic that the same site that runs this article about "13 Reasons Why" also recently ran an article in which the medical professional quoted in the article said that the phrase "commit suicide" is not accurate because "commit" is what happens when you do something you should be ashamed of: murder, being committed to a mental health ward, etc. and that suicide is not like that.

I didn't agree with that article either.

What I told my sister-in-law when she and I were discussing potential binge-worthy shows on Netflix is that yes, there is a suicide on the show. What I saw in the show is how devastated the high school student's friends are by what the high school character chose to do. Her parents are a wreck and their marriage falls apart. Another girl begins drinking booze. And there are many other sub-plots that I can't even mention.

I think that some scenes with the high school character's parents are devastating, especially the flashback scenes when conversations that seemed like a BIG DEAL at the moment really weren't, in the BIG PICTURE of the lives of these characters.

No comments: