Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Cold

I know I would feel differently if I worked at Google.

But I don't.

When I either retire or die, someone will need to do the work I do at work on a daily basis. I will be replaced. It's what a business does. The purpose of a business is to make money. It's not a living thing - it's inanimate. It doesn't go out to hurt anyone because it's like a lawn mower. Your lawn mower doesn't decide to run over a flower - you, operating the mower, decide.

I don't read anything wrong with the following blurb from this article:

Whittaker writes that Google said she would have to abandon her work at New York University's AI Now Institute, which she co-founded and also works on, in order to remain at Google. Stapleton, a 12-year veteran of Google who most recently worked in YouTube's marketing department, says she was told she would lose half of her reports and that a previously approved project was being killed.

It doesn't matter to me if Whittaker co-founded a project or not. My hope is that when Google is making these decisions about transitioning an employee to another position, it's a decision based upon succeeding.
Again, I know I would feel differently if I worked at Google.

But I don't.

Whittaker alleges that it was in retaliation for walking out of work back in November. No one hired Whittaker (or any of the other employees who walked out) to be anything other than a body to do a task. It's harsh, but think about it.

I have worked at five companies before I started working where I work now. Just because I left does not mean that there is not a need for a technical writer so, if the company values customer service (or in one case, is still in business!), the company would hire someone to replace me to do the work I did when I worked there.

If you are working at a company and don't do the work for which you were hired or the work for which you were hired is no longer helping the company - and I don't give a damn if you think you were hired to do anything other than what your boss says you need to do - you should be moved to a different part of the company.


Period.

I used to document a system that was not helping the company so development of that system was halted and the resources assigned to working on the development of that system were reassigned. 

Again, I know I would feel differently if I worked at Google.

But I don't.

No comments: