Tuesday, April 9, 2019

My Heart Aches This AM


From: Word-Pc List [mailto:WORD-PC@liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Doris Werder
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 4:58 AM
To: WORD-PC@liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Recovering an accidentally overwritten Word file (Word 2003)

Dear all,

My mom (93) is using an old Word version (2003 on Windows Vista) to write her books.  After the recent death of my older sister she started writing her memoirs. Yesterday she called me in despair because she had lost about 90 pages of what she's been writing in the last three months. This is what happened:

She wrote one paragraph and probably (she does not remember) overwrote the rest of the text and then saved it. Unfortunately, she had never saved the document with a different name. When I looked at the case yesterday, I saw that there was this one paragraph. I looked for other versions of the document and found a link to an older version of the document. I opened the link and was asked whether I want to recover the document. I saved the one paragraph with a different name. When I tried to open the link to the previous version after that, the "Do you want to recover the document" dialogue did not appear again.

The recovery setting was "Autosave every 10 minutes"

What I tried:

I searched the entire computer for .ASD, .TMP and WBK files
I opened the document in the editor with the hope of finding some of the deleted text -- to no avail.
I searched the following folder:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles

I searched the internet for tricks and found the Windows recovery point trick -- but this only works in Windows 7 or higher.

I apologise for not contributing to this list recently. Could you help me anyway? I would really appreciate some good ideas from you.


Thank you very much in advance


Doris Werder
State-certified translator (BDÜ) and tecnical writer (tekom)


Doris Werder technische Redaktion und Fachübersetzungen
Jahnstraße 8
63450 Hanau

No comments: