Monday, November 17, 2008

At least I'm not Late...

It's a Monday. That means Karen works early so I get the kids up around 6:20 AM and we leave the house by 7 to make the bus by 7:15. Megan doesn't understand why she has to get up so early. The consequences for us missing the bus are that I would have to drive them to Regina, which is east of us, then drive west to catch I-380, and then north to Cedar Rapids, where I work. I have had to do that before, last school year, and it's not fun to be in that situation. So I don't mind being early to the bus and sitting in the car with the kids for a few minutes before they get on the bus. It's definitely better than being late in my opinion.

Tonight is Alex's piano lesson. We pushed him harder this week to practice so I'm hoping that he does better in his lesson. Alex talked about not wanting to play the piano or even not playing drums. He said to me, "Just because you play drums doesn't mean I have to." I agree. I am not really interested in paying for piano or drum lessons if he's not going to practice. Piano is a lot like his schoolwork - it doesn't come easy and when he gets frustrated, it's easy to quit or throw up his hands in disgust. "I don't know!" he'll say.

We went through this last night with his state flash cards. He has to memorize the state capitals of 9 states. "I know them," he says as we sit down. We went through those flash cards 6 times before I felt comfortable he knew them. He couldn't remember Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina. I gave him 3 Rs - Raleigh, noRth caRolina, and I think he can remember that. I hope so. We have to hammer things into his head. It's part of apraxia - it's a part of our life.

No comments: