Sunday, November 23, 2008

DNR - Do Not Reply and DNMLT10PBS - Do Not Make Less Than 10 Passes Before Shooting

I don't like spam e-mail messages. They clog up my Inbox and they cause conflict in the world. Read the one I got here followed by the comment to that blog post. It makes me shake my head in disbelief why people would do this to other people. What's the point?

In other news, we had Dudes practice. We've lost 2 games in a row, mainly because the boys don't run the offense. We tried something different today. No shooting until you make 10 passes. If you make less than 10 passes and shoot and make it, it doesn't count. "That's not fair!"

No. What's not fair is telling you to run the play that we work on in practice and watch you not do it. What's not fair is telling you to pass the ball and watch you run down the court and throw up a wild shot. What's not fair is you not playing team basketball because, frankly, you're not learning the beauty of this game.

One kid was very vocal. "This rule sucks! It sucks!" Reminded me of "The Karate Kid" when he gets kicked out of soccer practice. I was ready to tell him to get out of my gym.

Basketball is a game played by a team. There are five on the team. The team is coached by an adult who tells the team what to do. I am ready to no longer be that adult if these kids don't quit whining. Some of these kids think they know, after only being on the earth 10 years, how to play the game of basketball. They think that they know what they should do. I can tell them in complete certainty they don't. I have been around the sport of basketball since 1980. I played YMCA ball, I played 7th and 8th grade, I played intramurals, I've watched tons of teams. I've been to basketball camps and I've put my time in at the gym. These kids who think they know how to play the game DO NOT. Thus, listening to them whine about having to pass 10 times is ugly to my ears.

One parent said that he was on the top ranked basketball team in the state in high school. He said the coach got so mad that he took the air out of the ball so they couldn't pass.

Brilliant. Guess what we're doing at our next practice on 12/7?

No comments: