Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Teen Bands Tearing it Up

I got an e-mail message from a girl I used to go to high school with. Her son is in a garage band and she's doing what she can to promote them. But that got me thinking about another local band that I like called Lipstick Homicide. Here's their website: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=75126601

So, this acquaintance's son's band - they have a myspace page and they have five songs by them - covers - and they are all rough. My basement band in 1989 could do better than them and we couldn't get through a single song! First of all, their myspace page - I won't give you the URL because they have pictures as the background and it's hideous. It is an example of what *not* to do. The music is rough. Each musician needs more time to dig through their parts and refine them.

In the meantime, I found this cute cover of a non-kid appropriate song being sung by a kid with his dad playing guitar.



I tried to beat my score on Super Crazy Guitar Maniac Deluxe 3 but it appears the magic is gone from my fingers.

Tomorrow night, we are, tentatively, going to see Madagascar 2. It pains me to see a flick for $8 when I know it'll be out on DVD before the end of January and I'll be able to rent it for under $5. It had better be good.

Thursday, we're playing @ 9 AM Mass - I volunteered us for that - and then going to my parent's house in CR by 2. My brother Mark, his wife Erica, and their sons Sawyer and Charlie are coming too. I have not met Charlie so I am anxious to meet him.

Friday, we're heading up to Balltown. My in-laws are returning from their daughter's house in Chicagoland so we don't need to be in an ultra-hurry to get there. Then we'll be there until Sunday. On Saturday, I know my father-in-law wants to put out his crib set in his front yard and we are going to Mass in the afternoon. I think we're having ham - my favorite - for supper.

Return on Sunday and get ready to start the final 31 days of 2008.

At work, things are crazy - still. In case it's not clear from my previous musings, I have, essentially, two full-time jobs. I have my Tech Writing job where I am ultimately responsible for all internal and end-user documentation. I also have a second job, which is a combination of developing a Windows UI for a green screen and assembling our software to be burned to CD. For the last couple of releases, I've also burned the 3 sets of CDs for our clients (right around 150 CDs) and labelled them as well. That is what my former co-worker BSS used to do before he left for greener pastures.

I was BSS's backup and when he left, it got it handed to me. There was no one else. I had a very poor attitude about it all in the beginning of taking it over. I wanted nothing to do with the new part of my job. Part of it was that I wasn't comfortable with that aspect. All the instructions I had said to do things a certain way and, from my perspective, there wasn't enough 'why' in the documentation to explain 'why' it had to be done a certain way. Now that I've processed these tasks for nearly 2 years (well, 2 years in April 2009), I have changed the doc to explain better why I'm doing what I'm doing. I would like to get the procedures to the point where it is so easy to do that anyone in my dept could process the tasks and assemble the software for the CDs.

Anyways, now it's 9:45 PM and I was only going to be here until 9. Hmmm.

I've pulled 200 CDs from my CD rack that do not have a hard case in an effort to make room for more CDs. So far, so good. I have to update my "media" list as I put the CDs onto a spindle so that, if I wanted to find one, I'd know where to look.

I'll leave you with Trivium covering Metallica's "Master of Puppets." I wish they would have launched into this at their CR show!




No comments: